Monday, 21 November 2011

Finally Fixed

So like forever, I've been building a fixed gear racing bike. My first one and it's finally finished. A great little project to do and quite honestly anyone can. The appeal to these bikes first and foremost for me was the look. That probably makes me a fixie fag but I don't care because quite honestly, these bikes look cool. Next up you get to ride one of these things and initially they are not as easy as a conventional bike but that in itself holds a lot of charm. I felt like a kid again after learning to ride this style of bike.

My first outing was a 3 stage 30 mile trip. I couriered a parcel for my girlfriends business through to Darlington making me feel like a genuine bike messenger after which I stopped by my folks. Mum was not impressed by the out and out lack of brakes on the bike. Next stop was my g'friends parents to do some more show boating before finally braving the big hills back home.

30 miles aint a lot for a bike ride but with only one gear to get you up and down hills it gives you  a real work out. Without brakes you find yourself applying backwards pressure to the pedals when you are heading down hill to slow yourself down-so no rest there. Although I have since fitted a front brake for personal preservation the bike is still an exciting thing to ride and in these wet winter months I'm happy with less moving parts and only two gear cogs to clean instead of 24.

So if I haven't sold it to you yet, check out the video above and stay tuned for further development.

laters taters.

No comments:

Post a Comment